Friday, April 6, 2012

What We Watch

In our household we watch:

Mad Men
My wife used to only watch Battlestar Gallactica on her iPad when she worked out. She loved it. She had somehow managed to miss it when I and all our friends were watching so she got to see it all at once at her own pace (which is the way to watch things, really). Now that she's done with that (a moment of mourning for the end of that spectacular series) she's watching Mad Men on Netflix. I notice she doesn't run to the treadmill like she used to but she still enjoys it. I used to watch but haven't in a couple years so I have several years of stylish deliciousness to catch up on.

Looking forward to that.

Hope Netflix doesn't lose the contract before I get to it.

Naruto
My son is watching Naruto on Hulu. My Friend At Hulu (MFAH) tells me that there are two camps of amine lovers, the dubbers and the subbers. The dubbers want the shows dubbed in English. They are loud but they don't actually watch the shows. The subbers want the shows with subtitles. They are quiet about it but they are obsessive about their shows.

As a result of this, most anime no longer gets dubbed. It just doesn't pay.

My son complained about the subtitles for 5 minutes. Now he's 70 episodes in.

H2O:Just Add Water
Now that he's seen all of Wizards of Waverly Place, my son has also discovered this charming tween import from Australia about three teenage mermaids (Netflix). Really good (for a tween fantasy/comedy) and apparently the most successful teen themed show to come from downunder.

My only issue with the show is that water on them turns them into mermaids (like Darryl Hannah in Splash) but they still spend most of their time on the beach or at a marina.

Misfits
My favorite show right now is Misfits, a Hulu Exclusive recommended by MFAH. Imagine Heroes except with British community service misfits and without all the confused mythology. Also imagine consistantly terrific (and hilarious) writing. Now imagine watching it at your own pace.

Brilliant as they say over there.

No comments:

Post a Comment